8 Health Benefits of Blueberries
- Cancer - Several compounds in blueberries are known cancer fighters, such as resveratrol, flavanols, and anthocyanins. One impressive study found that the phytochemicals in blueberries worked together to stop the growth and spread of triple-negative breast cancer, a type of breast cancer that carries a poorer prognosis than other forms of breast cancer.
- Alzheimer’s Disease - Researchers believe that consumption of blueberries may help prevent the cognitive decline associated with Alzheimer’s disease. One recent study found that consumption of wild blueberry juice improved memory in seniors.
- Hepatitis C - Studies have found that a chemical in blueberry leaves can slow the progression of disease in people infected with hepatitis C.
- Heart Disease - The antioxidants and many other wonderful properties of blueberries all contribute to a stronger heart and cardiovascular function.
- Urinary Tract Infections - Studies have found blueberries to be potentially helpful in preventing urinary tract infections by inhibiting the growth of the bacteria that cause these infections.
- Cholesterol - Studies in mice have found that a compound in blueberries lowers cholesterol as effectively as statin drugs but without the side effects.
- Blood Pressure - Animals studies have found that blueberry consumption helped to regular blood pressure.
- Antioxidants - Blueberries are full of antioxidants and phytochemicals that help prevent disease, including anthocyanins, a potent antioxidant that helps to reduce inflammation.